By Lexi Hackett
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup mirin
1/3 cup sake
2 tablespoons honey or brown sugar
2-4 garlic cloves, minced
1-2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
2 tablespoons orange zest
1 tablespoon red chili flakes or Sriracha (optional)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all ingredients until well combined.
- Rinse thawed black cod tips with cold water & pat dry.
- Place the fish in a large shallow bowl or ziplock bag.
- Pour the marinade over fish. Cover the dish and refrigerate for 1 hour to 24 hours. We usually marinade our black cod tips for at least a few hours.
1 pound black cod tips
2 scallions, diced
Toasted sesame seeds, for topping
Sticky white rice & grilled or sauteed vegetables (baby bok choy, mushrooms, zucchini) for serving
- Heat the oven to 400°F or heat up BBQ
- Remove the fish from the refrigerator and place black cod tips on a baking sheet.
- Transfer the marinade to a saucepan, bring to a brief boil & then simmer until the sauce is reduced by half. Stir the sauce as it reduces.
- Bake black cod tips at 400 for about 15-20 minutes, until the fish is thoroughly cooked through & it easily flakes apart with a fork. Finishing with a quick broil is a nice way to brown the fish.
- BBQ for 15-20 minutes, until a light char is reached on both sides of the tips, and they easily flake apart.
*Black cod tips are best when thoroughly cooked. Because of the high oil content, you don't need to worry about drying out this fish during the cooking process.
- Serve black cod tips with grilled veggies and sticky rice. Drizzle the glaze over everything. Top off with diced scallions and sesame seeds.